CV of Gemma Mills McGrath
(short stage play) 10 min
A near retirement Dublin cleaner at the Ministry of Economics muses on the mess of the Irish economy and offers advice on how she would keep it spic and span, if she were in charge.
(stage duologue) 6 min Semi-Finalist Five n’ Ten Sandalle Competition 2015
A middle-aged man receives a letter from the woman who jilted him at the altar twenty-five years ago and disappeared from his life. She’s flown from the States and needs to see him but can he meet her and face the truth?
(stage play) 90 min – in development
The tale of Wendy and Toby – whose lonely lives collide by a park pond – whose shared love of herons begins an intense but love story. A play about ornithology, delusion, and rootlessness.
(stage play) 90 min Shortlist New Dramatist Club Kitson Management 2014
A middle-aged couple initially refuse to get involved as witnesses when a lorry writes off a vintage car outside their home but when the car driver, burst into tears on their doorstep the man invites her in for tea, unwittingly setting off the start of an intense relationship between them that that will entangle all their lives forever.
(stage play) 90 mins
It’s the aftermath of the Church’s apology for the clergy’s abuse of children in their care. A middleaged Irish immigrant responds to a call to support and compensate victims, seeking justice for his late brother. But the interview with the outreach worker turns into a powerful game-changer in which both of them get much more than they’d ever bargained for.
- June 2015 Finalist (along with 4 others) New Writing Autumn Showcase Birmingham Rep
- Jan 2015 Finalist BBC Script Room 8 Talent Search
- Oct 2014 Finalist New Dramatist Club – ‘a moving and gripping exploration of grief’
- Sept 2014 Semi-Finalist T.S. Elliott Commission – Old Vic Theatre
- Sept 2014 Winner Moon Dance International Festival (Best Foreign Stage Play)
- May 2014 Finalist Write Now Festival 5 at Brockley Jack Theatre. Dynamic staged reading:
- Feb 2012 Finalist of Steyning Theatre Trails Competition
- April 2012 Shortlist Windsor Fringe Kenneth Branagh Award for New Drama
- June 2012 Shortlist Dramatic Association of Wales One Act Play Competition
(radio play) 45 min Finalist BBC 4 Commissioning Round 2012
A woman discovers from her dying father that she was adopted from Spain in the 60s. The woman flies to Madrid but her search for her birth mother meets only with dead-ends. But with an old nun’s helps, she finds out that her mother was told that her baby died at birth, when in fact she stolen by the nurse nuns to sell to her parents, during Franco’s baby-trafficking scandal. But with such sketchy and corrupted contact details, can the woman ever trace her birth mother?
(short stage play) Finalist Traverse 50 Short Play Competition 2012
A thai yoga masseur and his married client explore the chemistry between them that’s getting in the way of the treatments.
(Screenplay) 90 min Semi-Finalist Blue Cat Competition 2012
A manatee-obsessed hairdresser is tracked down by the daughter she gave up for adoption years ago, and panic sets in. She flees to Florida to fulfill a life-long dream but an encounter with a charming drifter – also on the road to find his own birth mother – forces her to finally face the thing she’s really running from – herself.
001 (short film)
10 mins Semi-Finalist Sundance 2013 Quarter-Finalist PAGE Awards 2010
A woman finally wins a landmark case to use her late husband’s sperm, but loses the vial in a taxi on route to the insemination clinic. A desperate search ensues which forces her to question if the chance at motherhood she fought so hard for in the first place, is what will really needs after all.
(Two-Part TV drama) Finalist of TAPS (www.tapsnet.org) Finding the Writers’ Voice Mentoring & Production Scheme – Aug 2009
A child psychologist has to fight to clear his name when falsely accused by his ex-wife of sexually molesting their six year-old Amy. Actors’ read-through DVD on request
LOST & FOUND
Commissioned by ALRA. DVD on request
Sitcom Pilot Episode: The Panda Heart. An airport lost property office run by a bunch of nohopers face an inspection on the very day they manage to loose, then find, then loose again, a donor panda heart bound for a China. Directed by Peter Cregeen, Produced by Georgina Merton. Screened at Clapham Picture House (2007)
Out of the Rain – Collected Poems (2001) Flarestack, ISBN 1 900397 38 2
Magma Poetry February 2011 – Edited by Clare Pollard – Poem Selected: July, New York
Writing Our Way Back Home click to read
From N19 to Pluto & Back – Forthcoming Collection
PROJECTS IN DEVELOPMENT
BABY, IT’S COLD OUTSIDE
Ben and Amy get pregnant after years of IVF and right from the start, the foetus has a voice of hisown, which only Amy can hear. It takes an instant dislike to its father, doubting his fidelity to Amy – she finally tells Ben who is really hurt by her distrust and rows become the order of the day. But when Amy miscarries, she discovers the true extent of the rot in the marriage. The couple must decide what, if anything, can be salvaged from the mess.
CITY OF SCARS
(drama/thriller – feature) Shortlisted for She Writes & Serious; Screenwriting Development Scheme at Script Factory Jan/Aug 2010
When a female Canadian diplomat in Mexico learns her prostitute lover has been murdered, she risks career, marriage and even life, to fulfill her promise to bury him in his hometown despite the fact that the country’s deadliest gang are also in hot pursuit for his body.
LAST CALL TO HAVANA
(comedy drama feature)
An estate agent, heart-broken her dream of motherhood has been crushed, learns she has to travel to Cuba to sort out the sale of a ruined mansion – only to find the trip opens up ways to fill her life with children that she could never have envisaged.
TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT
- MA Screenwriting University of the Arts, London College of Communication (2006-8)
- Script Reader & Workshop Tutor – LCC MA Screenwriting (2009-13)
- Facilitating feedback & intensive script development workshops
- Co-Founder Writers Workshop Group (2008-present)
- Co-founded and meets six times a year to give ourselves deadlines, write feedback reports, share brainstorm script issues and share successes and networks.
- BBC Doctors’ Continuing Drama Retreat Course
- Soho Theatre Writers’ Clinic 2012
- Screenwriters Festival London 2010
- Exploratory Development Trip to L.A, 2009
- Screenwriters Festival, Cheltenham, 2008
- Delegate Edinburgh Film Festival 2007